“Two of Joseph Smith’s Principles for a Successful Education for the Whole Family”
Keynote Description:Joseph Smith has been called “America’s greatest educator” and yet the Prophet’s principles for successful education have largely been forgotten! After studying the writings of the Prophet and the scriptures for over a decade, our family discovered 10 principles Joseph Smith emphasized–principles any family can utilize! During this presentation, I will share two of the 10 principles with practical tips and success stories from our own family’s education experience.
- How can we implement the Gospel of Jesus Christ into seemingly secular, academic subjects
- Are your children ready to face the 21st century with confidence? Will they stand firm? Do they know what they believe and why?
- How do we ensure our children are academically prepared to deal with the real world?
- What are the benefits of project-based education? How can parents implement Zion building projects while educating their children? Is it possible to involve the entire family (with varying ages and talents)?
- How do you motivate children to work on their own?
- How can we raise children who focus on serving others, rather than themselves?
- How can a service, project-based education help rebellious or apathetic children?
10 Principles of a “Joseph Smith Education”
- Focus OUT Not IN – “Feed My Sheep”
- Mission Centered – “Here am I send me”
- Spirit Directed
- Father Presided and Family Centered
- Content is the message – “All things testify of Christ”
- Built on the Rock
- Agency Motivated
- Stewardship Based
- Exemplar Inspired
- Eliminate Waste, 100% Productive
Is the Book of Mormon the answer for apathy among the youth? (Article by James F. Stoddard III)Books, media and articles mentioned in keynote address, plus more!
- The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun, Liu Zhenying, Paperback; Hardcover; Audible; Kindle
- Mother Teresa (2003, starring Olivia Hussey) Purchase DVD; Amazon Instant Video
- Mother Teresa: In the Name of God’s Poor (1997, starring Geraldine Chaplin) Purchase DVD
- History of Brigham Young Academy (founded by President Brigham Young)
- Brigham Young’s Vision for Education
- Compilation of statements by leaders of the Church on education
- Scholarly papers on education
Healing and Motivating Youth with Revealed Educational Principles (interview with Julie Smith)