Welcome to the Joseph Smith FoundationThe first four definitions for the word foundation given in the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary are:
- The basis of an edifice . . . usually a wall of stone which supports the edifice.
- The act of fixing the basis.
- The basis or ground work, or any thing; that on which any thing stands, and by which it is supported . . . Christ is the foundation of the church.
- Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation, a stone – a precious cornerstone. Is. 28. Other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 1Cor. 3.
- Original; rise; as the foundation of the world.