- Progressives claim the Church covered up its history for nearly 200 years. Is the current faith crisis stemming from unmasked history . . . or new interpretations?
- Why did New Mormon Historians insist Hofmann’s forgeries were legitimate, even when investigators provided convincing evidence to them of the hoax?
- How did Bruce R. McConkie know Hofmann’s Joseph Smith III blessing was a fake, despite authentication by document experts and pressure by historians calling him “incompetent” for questioning?
- Who were the “Swearing Elders”? How did this group of progressive Latter-day Saints reshape the identity of Mormonism?
- Why did Carol Lynn Pearson and Leonard Arrington share cards that read, “History is on our side—as long as we can control the historians?”
- Leonard Arrington shared that an “invisible higher power” commissioned him to rewrite or reconstruct our dominant narrative of the Restoration.
- Did God want our history changed?
- Why did Leonard Arrington say the First Vision, Nephites and gold plates were part of the Mormon “myth”?
- Why did Leonard Arrington note that if he were honest about his beliefs, “not many” Latter-day Saints would “want [him] to teach their children”? How did this affect his career as Church Historian and later at BYU?
- Progressives, working in the Church History Department and at BYU, claimed 40 years ago it would take a generation to re-educate the Church.
- Where are we in this re-education?
“The research and findings in this volume are truly history altering. Using newly released documents, combined with deep knowledge of Church History, the Stoddards are bringing to light what could be termed a “soft coup d’état” of the Church’s scriptures and prophets by progressive historians, bent on altering its history. Hold tight to your faith in the history held by the church for over 150 years and the teachings of our prophets as you discover how deep this attempted takeover has infiltrated, and altered, our sacred history.” (Rod Meldrum, researcher, best-selling Latter-day Saint author, & international lecturer)
“Years ago, we stopped going to church. Suddenly, God awakened me and brought me back into the fold. As I hungered and learned more about the restoration, it was upsetting to hear things being said about Joseph that I KNEW were not true. I hit a major faith crisis wondering why and how this could happen within the church. Right as I was about to leave the church and follow another sect that follows the teachings of the Book of Mormon, I read the Stoddard’s Faith Crisis book. This book, along with promptings and teachings from the spirit helped me navigate through many questions. This book only helped grow my testimony of the truthfulness of the restoration of the gospel and of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I now stand strong in the Faith and know that I am in the only true church. I’m so thankful for the Joseph Smith Foundation and the many hours put in toward helping others stay strong in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!” (Latter-day Saint mother of six)
“This book is a fantastic glimpse into the making and framing of Church history and the “new narrative.” The Stoddards convincingly show that the Church did not lie about its history and the traditional narrative. Once you see where and how this new narrative began, you may become frustrated, especially considering how dominant this new narrative has become in Church education. However, this timely book will strengthen your testimony of the scriptures and the words of the prophets which will not lead us astray. If you have ever had questions about Church history and honestly want to find answers, this book is a great resource and a must read! You won’t want to put it down!” (jgundersen)
“This is a must read book for anyone who is sincerely interested in understanding the truth about Church history. Sifting through conflicting ideologies can be difficult and frustrating, but this book helps to identify which sources are trustworthy and which are not. Prepare to be taken on a journey of emotions that will ultimately leave you with increased faith in the scripture and prophets. I highly recommend this book. for all members of the Church of Jesus Christ!” (cassidyg)